Monday, November 3, 2014

My new unemployed life, and my first commercial project

Good evening, fellow readers!

I guess you could say that today was a rather important day. First of all, it was the first weekday of my newfound unemployment. I can already say that I am not likely to enjoy this lifestyle in the long run. I enjoy human contact at the workplace (more often than not), there are plenty of distractions at home (I'm looking at you, League of Legends) and naps are always tempting. I also need a new chair. In general, I certainly hope I will be able to find a job soon. Which brings me to the second important event of the day.

Today, I started working on my first commercial Java project. Yay!

I began work on an empoyee certification management system for a company that is somehow connected to aviation. I called my application "Certification manager 2014". Creative, I know.

 In short, the software will have to:

  • store information about the employees of the company and the various certificates each of them has
  • keep track of the certificate expiration dates and warn the user when some certificate is about to expire
  • create a schedule for employee training 
  • generate analytical reports for all of the above.
So, the task is quite simple. It is made a bit harder by the fact that the client requested the data to be saved in an MS Access database, but I don't think that will be much of a problem.

The client requested an interface prototype by Tuesday night. I finished it within a couple of hours. Here is what I got:


Unfortunately, I did not find anything challenging in today's task. Java's Swing used to give me some trouble a while ago, but it became a lot more manageable once I finished a couple of projects with it. MiG Layout is a must, though - check it out if you plan on making desktop apps.

I had some fun picking out the icons from a free repository. There's just something about this strict look/feel that caught my eye.

Overall, after working exclusively on software for my own personal use, I find it quite exciting to write something that will be used by a real actual organisation. I will submit the first results tomorrow. Hope the client is satisfied)

No comments:

Post a Comment