Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hello!

Good evening, future readers!

My name is Anton Medviediev. I am a 24-year-old guy from Kiev, Ukraine. For the past four years, I had a decent, well-paid job in management for a small international company. And yesterday, I quit. Why? Well, software development, of course.

I've been passionate about everything computer-related since I was a child. When I was 12, I started dabbling in programming. Back then, the only computer in our house was a 10-year-old laptop with a 33 MHz processor and 4 megabytes of RAM, which was pitiful even in 2002. The best games I could run were also about as old as I was, so my brewing gaming addiction was left largely unsatisfied. The best solution I could come up with at the time was to start writing my own games. I went to my local library, got a book on QBasic (oh, how I wish it was C++), and opened up the IDE as soon as I got home. And so it began.

By the time I was 16, I had 5 or 6 finished primitive games for DOS. In retrospect, it would have made sense to continue my education in computer sciences, but, for a number of reasons, I ended up getting a Master's in management of international business, and found a job in the field. Programming was abandoned for quite a while.

However, my job did not make me happy. I kept reading blogs, articles and books on IT instead of stuff that would help me with my career. A year and a half ago, I randomly started learning Java and I loved it. I coded after work and I coded on the weekends, but I found it difficult to do so effectively after intense 8-, 9-, 10-hour workdays, so my progress was not great. What was great, however, was the fact that I realized that a career in software development was the thing I wanted all along.

I saved up some money and quit. Starting today, I can focus on perfecting my programming skills and getting a job in the field. My progress will be documented here.

What to expect from this blog:

  • Information and updates on the progress of my current programming projects
  • Problems I encounter and how I solve them (or don't)
  • Book reviews and useful articles
  • My thoughts about tools and technologies I use (or don't)
  • Stories about any job interviews I get invited to
What not to expect:
  • Guides (I'm pretty sure I am not yet qualified to give such advice to anyone)
So, welcome, and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment